The 72nd Street Station originally opened in 1904, which had trains running from Brooklyn Bridge to 145th Street. The original configuration of the station was inadequate by IRT standards. There was only one entrance, and the stairways and platform was very narrow. A substantial renovation was completed in 2002 to provide a new, large control house for traffic. As a part of this renovation, Carnelian® granite was used to create planter walls that double as benches near the station.